Thursday, May 7, 2009

Is it always about you??

Subject: Do I follow my fear or my heart?

Dear Steve,
I met a gentleman about 3 months ago, and we have been enjoying a platonic friendship. Lately, it's become apparent that we are feeling each other on a deeper level and have a strong physical attraction to each other. The other day, during a discussion about herbal supplements vs. prescription drugs, he revealed that he has no choice but to take prescription drugs because he is H.I.V. positive. My heart felt crushed. Do I put the brakes on this growing relationship and try to remain platonic friends or do I follow my heart and take all of the necessary precautions if we become intimate? By the way, I have herpes but failed to tell him about that, because Valtrex has ended my outbreaks.
Thank you, Ms. Coward
steveharvey.com

My reaction to this letter was just "wow". Here you're in the same boat as he is, but you're really only thinking about yourself. HIV is nothing to sneeze at, but neither is herpes. Let me guess... The PREFECT man would be just that right, perfect even though you're not. His honesty says that he wants you to be aware of his situation and that in itself says that he respects you. You had a great opportunity to be unselfish and you dropped the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin